Friday, December 14, 2007

If there is one thing to dread, let it not be death.....

The week is over, as far as work is concerned... that makes me happy :) one more week until the REAL break comes.... an entire week off, plus two days! YAY! Hopefully I'll have plenty of chances to rest up, since the week after will be absolutely crazy. But for the time being... KENTUCKY HERE I COME! w00t!

I don't really have a lot to say today. I guess I'm just here to babble a little... speaking of babbling, I started a new book the other day - Gods of Aberdeen by Micah Nathan. I'm only a few chapters into it, but it could shape up to be an interesting book. It's a little obvious that this is the author's first book... a few places it's almost been like he's trying too hard. But there are some places that are just really good - almost more poetic than narrative. I'll leave you with a small section that just really struck me for whatever random reason:
I had told Nicole a little about my mother's death, one of those late-night confessionals the intimacy of dorm life seems to demand. But I didn't want her to think about me within the context of my loss; pity has a very short shelf life, especially for those on the receiving end. The irony of such tragic events is that you don't want people always taking into consideration what has happened to you, and you resent knowing they harbor the illusion of you living within the confines of bad memories, unable to escape. But you do live within those confines, shackled to them, some with longer chains than others. Every new tragedy puts another manacle around your wrist, and demands you build up the calluses to bear it.

No comments: